Wednesday, January 4, 2012

And to begin...

So having decided to start eating healthier I went to Kraft Recipes and found some low-fat, low calories dinner ideas and then as soon as I got off work I went straight to the grocery store. I highly recommend the Kraft food recipe site. I have gotten lots of delicious meals and desserts from there in the past and I was very happy to find they had healthy options available.


I decided my first low-fat meal would be chicken enchiladas. When I called my hubby this afternoon and I told him that I was going on a diet and he was joining me, he was less than thrilled. I'm trying to start this whole process out slowly and painlessly so right now, when cooking meals, I am focusing on making healthier dinners and incorporating more fresh veggies. Of course, I started out my endeavor using one of my hubby's least favorite veggies: bell peppers. He'll eat it, but he'd never go out of his way to choose it. So imagine my delight when he kept insisting that dinner was delicious! So yay me!! We're off to a good start. I even managed to have enough self-control to have the suggested serving size. Look at me with the portion control! Woot!


 


Fiesta Chicken Enchiladas Made Over
From Kraft Food recipes


1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces (I cheat and use chicken tenders, it makes it easier to cut into pieces.
1 large green pepper, sliced
1 large red pepper, sliced
1 Tbsp chili powder
3/4 C Taco Bell Home Originals Thick 'N Chunky salsa, divided
2 oz (1/4 of 8 oz package) Philadelphia Neufchatel Cheese, cubed***
1/4 c Kraft Mexican Style 2% Milk Finely Shredded Four Cheese***
8 whole wheat tortillas (6 inch)


Heat oven to 375F. Heat a skillet, add chicken, peppers, and chili powder. Cook and stire until chicken is done. Stire in 1/4 cup salsa and Neufchatel. Cook and stir 3-5 minutes until Neufchatel  is melted. Place mixture in tortillas and wrap securely. Place it in a baking dish and pour remaining salsa and cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes.


Serves 4 (or 2 with enough for lunch the next day!)


***The actual recipe from the site calls for 1/2 cup cheese mixed into the chicken/pepper/salsa mixture. I am not too fond of cheese, so I omitted that. Also my grocery store doesn't carry Neufchatel cheese, so I used the less fat Philadelphia cream cheese instead.


Nutritional information:
Calories: 450



No comments:

Post a Comment

Judgement free zone. Post as you wish.
Except you spammers. You'll be deleted.