Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Role models are scarce guys.

So lately I've been afraid of what society will do to my daughter. I understand she's still baking in the oven and that she'll have the influence of her father and I to counterbalance the ridiculousness that is society. But I'm still pretty terrified. 


We now live in a world where women who starred in sex tapes with a random semi-famous guy is made rich and famous. Yeah, I'm looking at you Kim Kardashian. What the hell did she ever do to contribute to society? She isn't even famous for movies or television or music. All she did was have an enormous ass and have a sex tape. Not to mention her lavish wedding that lasted 72 days. This is not the woman I want my child looking up to. 
There's a whole write up on how she symbolizes everything wrong with Western Society. I can see where she's coming from. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9342274/Kim-Kardashian-sums-up-everything-that-is-wrong-with-society-headmistress-says.html

I don't like that I can sit here and think of a ton of women who terrify me. Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, Kim and all her Dashian relatives, etc. All of these women are horrible role models. 

Here's a few of the women past and present that I wouldn't mind my child looking to. 


Princess Diana was always a woman I looked up to growing up. Stylish, classy, and doing a lot of good around the work with her charity work. (Don't you people dare disparage her to me and try to talk about adultery etc. Bitch please.) Currently, close to that standard set by Diana is Catherine Duchess of Cambridge. She's young and beautiful and has a wonderful sense of style. I think in the coming years she'll really be doing a lot of good for charities like Diana did. I absolutely think Diana would approve of her, and I'd absolutely be ok with my daughter looking to either of these women as a woman to admire. 
Kim K, take a gander. This is how it's done.
Shawn Johnson is another woman that I think is fabulous. The US gymnastics silver medalist from the previous Olympics in Beijing. She is a hard worker, intelligent, dedicated, and extremely talented. She's also close to her family. I thought forsure I was going to get to see her perform at the summer Olympics this year, but due to a knee injury she recently retired from gymnastics. She is a lovely girl though. 

Kate Winslet has always been one of my favorite actresses. Ever since she made me sob as Mariann in Sense & Sensibility. She's beautiful. Really truly beautiful. When Titanic came out and she caught so much hell for being fat, she stayed true to herself and said she thought she looked just fine and would not be crash dieting to make herself into what the industry thought she should be. Today, she's saying she'll never undergo plastic surgery while fully immersed in a plastic surgery crazy world. There's really not many actresses as classy as she is left. That's a damn shame. 
At the original Titanic premier and the recent 3D premier.  Oh gee, to be fat like her in the original.
Marie Curie. Talk about a lady before her time. She was a genius. She had 2 Nobel Peace prizes. She was a pioneer in radioactivity and discovered new elements. She was out doing things that women just weren't doing at the time. Hell, men weren't even doing them. She was a ground breaker for women to be introduced into science and she made a huge impact in the world. Of course she ended up dying from her exposure to radioactivity over the course of so many years. The point is, she was a fucking genius. She is nugget role model approved. 
Harriet Tubman. For fuck's sake guys. She risked her life daily to help other people. She escaped from slavery and then helped countless others escape as well- guys no one was killed that she helped to escape. After the Civil War she helped with women's suffrage. She was a true badass. Probably the modern day equivalent in badassery to Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson. 
That is a badass. Nugget approved.

So what I'm saying is, there are plenty of women out there to look up to. Both women from the past and women in the present. Why the hell don't we hear more about them. Without the influence of positive role models our children run the risk of turning out like these "ladies":


10 comments:

  1. I think a lot of the time we don't hear about woman like that cause no one focuses on them. Average people out there need to focus on the good before big change occurs!

    You should write a blog post about each of those woman using the tag "role models" and then when young girls search google looking for "role models" they'll come accross your positive posts!

    Cause thats how things change. It starts with a few people doing things to change things and then it snowballs!

    Heck if you do make the posts let me know, I'll draw pictures of the woman so there will be an actual photo and a cartoonists rendering to spice up the blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I love this idea. Let's do this! Who would you like to draw first?

      Delete
    2. I've got a picture to email you for this. Please contact me. My email address is justmadethisaddressup@yahoo.ca

      Delete
  2. My personal addition to this list of HBICs is Sara Murphy. She and her husband Gerald were like the raddest couple of the 1920s. Everyone talks about Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald, but those two were incredibly dysfunctional and scary. Sara and Gerald, on the other hand, were incredible. I love Sara because she was friends with (and the muse for) so many incredible writers, artists (including Picasso), and musicians in the 20s, but she also maintained a happy, stable, loving family life with her husband and 3 children.

    I just see so many families today where it seems like the parents have given up so much of themselves to their children... I mean their actual core selves. They forget that being a great parent can also mean being a person who has interests and passions outside of their children. Obviously, your kids are always your priority, but it scares me sometimes to think that once you have kids being a parent is the only aspect of yourself you are allowed to project to the world.

    Sara and Gerald lived an incredible life, and it wasn't all picture-perfect for them (they lost two of their children). I find them to be really inspiring and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of her, but I feel like I need to know more. She sounds pretty amazing actually.

      I agree. I think being a parent puts you as role model #1. This means that I think it's important to have hobbies, interests, and passions out side of parenting. I think this really helps your children see that when they're older they don't have to settle into the wife/mother or husband/father role. That there's so much more to life than that.

      Delete
    2. Also this post was an incredibly passive aggressive way for you to let me know that you don't like my tattoos. Jeez.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you 100%. I get very concerned for my nieces and who they may see as role models. I hope they make the right choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree with you, and I think the best way to instill that in your daughter is to show her these real role models and why they're people to look up to. That way, when Kim K comes on TV talking out of her enormous ass, you both can just roll your eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Judgement free zone. Post as you wish.
Except you spammers. You'll be deleted.