Thursday, November 3, 2011

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?

I never much wondered about Oxford commas before the song Oxford Comma from Vampire Weekend caught my attention. The very first line is "Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?" and I have realized that I do. I give a fuck. I actually feel very strongly about it. I just looks better, in my opinion. 

For those of you wondering what an Oxford comma is it's the comma that comes before the "and" in a series. 

For instance: When I went to the store I bought a peach, bacon, and eggs. 

The comma after the bacon is the comma in question. It's not necessarily needed but I think it's a nice addition to a sentence. 

I am sounding more and more like a grammatical nutcase. I swear I'm not really. 




2 comments:

  1. I swear by the Oxford comma, so much so that it's just habit to write sentences that way.

    A better question might be this: who gives a fuck about Vampire Weekend?

    ReplyDelete

Judgement free zone. Post as you wish.
Except you spammers. You'll be deleted.