Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Dirty South

                                            

I'll be leaving in the morning to visit my grandparents in Columbus, Georgia. While I'm away I'll be away from my blog and away from the Internet as a whole. I'll have limited access to it using my phone, but my BlackBerry has seen better days and I am hesitant to count it at all. Man it already seems like a long time until Monday night (the time I return).


While I would like to say that I'm heading to the "drrty souff" in all actuality only Hotlanta can refer to itself as that. I'm going to the porch-sitting, tea-sipping, bbq eating South. It's a whole different thing.      
                                       
                                           
                                               This is how we all have to dress there.

I'm super stoked to see my grandparents. It's been much too long since I've made it down there to see them and I can't wait to sit on their carport while they chain-smoke. It doesn't sound glamorous, but it is. 


                                       


My cousins that I'm sure to see while I'm there (one is my dad's age then his 2 sons are my age) are not a party and don't even have the times they were born into to blame for it. Bastards be racist yo. I'll never forget the night they told me the reason "black people shoot a gun holding their hand sideways". I mean, I don't know the answer to it, I was filled with rage and had to remove myself from the situation, but I'm sure it wasn't accurate. How are these people my blood? I just console myself with the knowledge that one of my cousins (Danny or Jason- damn the difference) pee'd his bed until he was 13. That and also they are a product of their up-bringing.


                                       
                                          They made a movie recently. Maybe you saw it?


No. No I don't like the "product of their up-bringing" argument. Because I was raised primarily by people with the very same views and yet I'm nothing like them. Just because you're born to racist, homophobic, close-minded assholes doesn't mean you're doomed to the same fate. Human decency people- learn what it is. 



Anywhooo. I miss civilization already. I miss Facebook and I miss my blogger and I miss Google+ games and Google News. I am dreading the water that makes my skin break out and I'm dreading Fox News blaring constantly and assaulting my brain. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm from the deep South and unfortunately kids are still being raised with prejudices and a sense of superiority because of their race or monetary status. It's ridiculous. I was fortunate enough to have parents who taught me equality and respect for all.

    Have a fun visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to visit the South to try the cooking, but I'm not sure if I'd bring my Mexican wife. They might try to make her pick vegetables in the fields. Which would not end well, since my wife is the fiery type of Mexican.

    Hope your trip is going well!

    ReplyDelete

Judgement free zone. Post as you wish.
Except you spammers. You'll be deleted.